Cypher Harrisburg
We are back online. However, sadly I was not able to make a permanent fix to the dice issue and have it work on all users. To keep things simple as GM I'll be throwing in the dice coding on my replies. Additionally to allow the game to move as swiftly and concise as possible when making an action PLEASE state all skills and abilities that you have that you believe will ad you in the roll as well as if you are putting in Extra Effort. As GM I will then determine if these abilities and bonuses apply generate the dice outcome and narrate as usual.
Cypher Harrisburg

A modern Fantasy West Marches game using the Cypher System

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Marshland

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 The Marshland on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:16 am

DMbobby

Admin
This area covers any location not directly off the Walking Trails or considered part of Wildwood Lake

View user profile http://cypher-harrisburg.forumotion.com

2 Re: The Marshland on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:44 pm

DMbobby

Admin
Three heroes venture into the mashes following a trail discovered by a lost collar.

(Rolled 19) The collar no longer has tags, but a small amount of blood is located within the freys fabric. This definitely looks like the signs of an attack. More importantly there is also a smell of oil on the collar as well as dark drag marks indicating that whatever was wearing it was drug from a place with automobile traffic, likely within the city.

(Rolled 20) Following the tracks turns out to be a breeze. It become obvious that this is a single creature, though it is somewhat large. The heroes find there way along the marshes so a man made runoff area. It appears something has made a bit of a nest here as there are about a dozen sticks standing in the mud each with a broken collar dangling from it. Those with little bells glint in the light.

3 Re: The Marshland on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:02 pm

I would like to sneak closer for a better look, hopefully without alerting anything to my presence.
(Trained in all stealth skills for what that's worth)

View user profile

4 Re: The Marshland on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Would any of us know the symbolism of the arrangement of collars and sticks (looks like we're dealing with something intelligent)?
& I'll cover Alan with my gun.

Last edited by gilesdorrington@gmail.com on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

5 Re: The Marshland on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:17 pm

DMbobby

Admin
Dr Miers sneaks up ahead. (Rolled 12) The area has the stench of death and as he approaches a curled form can be seen sleeping. It appears to be like a Jackal but jet black.

GM INTRUSION (Gain 1Xp and can award 1 XP to ONE character who is adventuring with you.)
At that moment a truck's horn is hear from the nearby highway waking the beast.

Initiative
Dr. Miers 17 (Success)
Conrad 7 (Fail)
Smith 19 (Success)

The creature begins to stir, but Miers and Smith react first.

6 Re: The Marshland on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Seeing the beast stir, Dr. Miers reaches inside his coat, putting his hand on his gun and takes a few steps back. In an attempt to avoid a fight, Dr Miers calls on his vague knowledge of supernatural creatures to attempt to befriend the beast rather than threaten it. (Using my Confounding ability, which lets me act as if I'm trained in one thing once per recovery roll. I guess we'd call this animal handling? Up to you, Bobby)

(For the intrusion, do I award XP now or whenever during the scene?)

View user profile

7 Re: The Marshland on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:17 am

DMbobby

Admin
The creature responds to you attempts to calm it (Rolled 8, DC12 reduced to 9 with training) by making an aggressive lunge. (Smith reacts before the attack)

8 Re: The Marshland on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:58 pm

(Jacob smith is going to use enthrall to give his compatriots time to assess the situation.)

Hey beastie, hey. Look at the coat on you. How do you get it so shiny, is that some kind of nutrient paste or mane and tail? Whatever it is, it's working. How did you get out here and are you the one that has been making the cats disappear? Can't say I blame you on the cat front though, not a big fan of them myself. Are you somebody's pet that got loose and hungry? That's okay everyone gets lost and hungry and what you do to stay alive is nobody's business. Believe me i've been there not good times. I once got super drunk and through a series of events somehow landed in Mumbai, India. I'm not even sure how i managed to stay so fucked up for the plane ride, all i can say is never underestimate the power of an edible. So anyway, while i'm there with no money, cellphone or shoes for that matter i stumble around for a little while until i come across a group of women and possibly a man or two. Don't look at me that way how else was i going to get the money for a ticket back to america. Listen you don't get to judge me for what had to be mr or mrs beastie, you've been out here eating cats and that is very similar to what i had to do. So don't you fucking judge me.

(i'm not sure how long you need this to be)

View user profile

9 Re: The Marshland on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:01 pm

"you don't get to judge me for what had to be mr or mrs beastie, you've been out here eating cats and that is very similar to what i had to do"
"Eeewwwhhh! & to think I've held his beer."

10 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:13 am

DMbobby

Admin
As long as Smith continues to speak to the beast it remains at bay somewhat confused by the human speech, but completely enthralled non the less. This effect continues so long as no one attacks the creature which will break the enchantment.

11 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:57 am

"Alan, wanna go grab lunch?"

Conrad will search the immediate area for a lair, or any evidence that the beast was acting in concert.

(Bobby, I know previously you said that the tracks were obviously a single creature but Conrad is still particularly concerned about implications of the collars placed on the sticks(also checks beastie for opposable thumbs)).

12 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:05 am

DMbobby

Admin
Searching through the muck and branches of the creatures nest reveals a wadded up piece of paper covered in hieroglyphics. More importantly the paper looks like it is a rubbing from a stone slab or similar item with raised writing. Other than that no other creature are found, however all of the collars seem to be circling this piece of paper almost as a wall or ward. (Rolled 15 for Perception with training this succeeds at a task of lvl 6 or lower allowing you to find all but the most Formidable of clues)

13 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:10 am

Can I use decipher on the hieroglyphics, what does the beast look like?

14 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:17 am

DMbobby

Admin
The beast looks like a Jackal only this jet almost ink like black that is slightly glossy almost like wet paint. The symbols after some time of studying (as Smith continues to ramble on distracting the creature) seem to be a type of conjuring spell for "protectors of the pharaoh's waters".

15 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:31 am

... So that's when i decided to buy the horse a prostitute thinking it might mellow it out...

View user profile

16 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:54 am

Conrad'll open a handy beer for Smith, in case his throat's getting a bit dry.

Last edited by gilesdorrington@gmail.com on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

17 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:05 am

Ahm'a gettin' bubba ho-tep flashbacks

Pop one in it's skull, or break the circle or..... any ideas guys (I'm for the skull approach)?

18 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:09 am

Better idea, first we take a photo of the heiroglyphs and then destroy the paper?

19 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am

With his Magical Training, Dr. Miers tries to determine a way to break / disperse what this conjuring without actually hurting the beast.

(also, apologies for the late reply. Just got back in cell range.)

View user profile

20 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:57 am

DMbobby

Admin
With your magical knowledge you'll know the beast was conjured by the spell. Since it's jsut a rubbing the enchantment is weak and just tearing up the paper will break it BUT this will destroy the beast. It and the enchantment are one there is no separating the two. Additionally you'll notice specifically this enchantment is a prayer to the Egyptian god Set.

21 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:07 pm

I'll send the photo of the heiroglyphs to everybody and then tear up the paper.

22 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:18 pm

DMbobby

Admin
Tearing up the paper destroys the jackal which melts into black goo before absorbing into the marsh.

23 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:25 pm

The good doctor would investigate the "nest" for any relatively intact cat corpses or any other corpses for that matter.

View user profile

24 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:36 pm

While he's doing that Joseph will knock down the sticks, throw them into the swamp, and then collect the collars (might provide some closure for the owners).

25 Re: The Marshland on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 pm

DMbobby

Admin
Other than the collars there is no remains of the cats, it appears they were likely devoured whole or somehow absorbed.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum